Monday, January 2, 2012

Gundam Unicorn "Ver Ka" Metallic Inox Steel Finish

The review of this Unicorn Ver Ka really took me some time to post during the holiday season. Although I had already finished doing the kit, my daughter got sick and I had to look after her. But anyway, because this kit is way popular and a lot of photos floating around the net, I didn't bother to pound this post with tons of out of the box pics. Secondly, I have to admit in advance that I'm disappointed with this kit. I mean there is one particular thing that turned me-off. Its articulation. . I bet most of the poses you will see around the net, this unicorn is just standing. Of course, with the use of an action base you can play around with its poseability but in terms of the legs movability, personally its a failure in my opinion.


The kit is outstandingly cool. The design and concept itself is stunning but it definitely has failed in the articulation of its legs. The legs can bend a bit around say 20-30 degrees the most but it can not do more than that. I reckon the poseability of my other non-grade kits has beaten this kit. Even my Gundam Virtue with his full armor can beat the Unicorn's leg in its articulation. A shame for being an MG. So if you're a big fan of articulation, this kit is not for you. I checked the legs' joint if I can modify it, but I think I have to do a lot of extensive study first before I do it. Plus, it will require an enormous amount of time. But for now here are the pics:


You may wonder why I have a different kind of sabers here in the Unicorn mode. I borrowed the one I have in the Gundam Virtue. I like its translucent red color than the pink of the unicorn.





I played with the paint job. I did not stick with the plain white color. So I had used a metallic silver with graphite  mixture and added a honey gold accent in the V-fins and feet. It's some sort of a brushed stainless steel-so it's not the typical tintanium finish you can see in the hobby stores. I also tinkered with the bazooka's cylinders with blue metallic accent.

It took me a day to apply the decals. It's sure a bit a pain in the a**! to put the dry transfers. Lastly, I applied some streaks of weathering to the kit and especially to the shield.














                             
Poseability 2/10

Grrr! I hate the legs movement. My non grade kits can beat the hell out of this thing.

Excitement 8/10

Well there is an excitement when you're staring at it. It looks as if there is more into it. 

Design 10/10

I have to say the design is really awesome but in one aspect the functionality failed it. You know what I mean.

Weapons 9/10


They're great to detail. No doub about it.

Detail 8/10

That psycho frame stuff is the selling point of this kit. I'll give it an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment